I advise C-level and top experts in the digital sector (platforms, telecommunications, media, and technology) on strategy, regulation & competition, spectrum policies, cybersecurity policies and innovation. A prime focus of my advisory work is the strategic positioning of companies in a specific regulatory environment. Experience shows that regulation is the most critical lever for driving commercial performance, investment and innovation in the digital sector.
When working with clients, I am inspired by the famous quote of John Maynard Keynes: “The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones.”
My professional career spans more than 40 years. It began in nuclear physics, after which I turned to industrial research and development in various high-tech industrial areas such as software development, solar energy, aerospace, and telecommunications. After my career in industry, I joined Arthur D. Little, a strategy consulting firm. Then, for over a decade, I headed up the Regulatory Authority for Telecommunications in Austria (RTR-GmbH). The highlight of my regulatory career was chairing and vice-chairing BEREC (Body of European Regulators for Electronic Communications). In 2014, I founded my consulting boutique, focused on advising C-suite and top digital sector experts on strategy, artificial intelligence, regulation & competition, spectrum policy, cybersecurity policy and innovation. In parallel, I continue to work with leading consultancies on a project basis in areas of my expertise.
Illustrative projects – professional experience and qualifications:
My consulting experience in a nutshell
- Artificial Intelligence regulation
- Platform regulation
- Quantum secure communication
- Cybersecurity policies
- Public policy issues
- Traditional telecom regulation (access to infrastructure, wholesale access, etc.)
- Regulatory challenges in the context of mergers and acquisitions
- Spectrum awarding and spectrum policies
- Advocacy before regulatory authorities and tribunals.
Relevant EU/European experience
- Advised a mobile challenger on preparatory strategies for the 5G auction and provided advocacy before the regulator.
- Contributed to the regional adaptation of terms and conditions for a global provider of communications services.
- Contributed to advisory work for a leading satellite operator on regulatory challenges for the deployment of a new in-flight service across several jurisdictions.
- Contributed to advisory work for a leading satellite operator on spectrum and interference challenges across several jurisdictions.
- Contributed to advisory work for a leading European railway company around in-train connectivity.
- Advised two international telecom operators on merger issues under the EU merger rules and provided advocacy work; analyzed different remedy options and retail price development pre- and post-merger.
- Advised a European system integrator on spectrum issues for smart-grid operations.
- Contributed to advisory work for an industry association on regulatory imbalances between traditional telecom operators and over-the-top players; analyzed possible redress measures and areas of regulatory modernization.
- Advised an international telecom group on a new regulatory strategy.
- Contributed to advisory work for auction design and auction strategies for regulators and operators.
- Contributed to advisory work for an industry association on spectrum policies harmonization across Europe.
- Contributed to the development of a mission statement for a European industry association.
- Provided marketing and sales support for software firms acting in the telecom sector.
- Provided ongoing regulatory and competition analysis for several international clients.
- Advised an international quad-play operator on cross-regional policy issues.
Relevant MENA (Middle East / N. Africa) experience
- Contributed to the drafting of a new spectrum legislation in a major country in the region.
- Contributed to building a new governance structure for the telecom ministry in a major country in the region.
- Advised a leading Middle East telecom operator on the development and implementation of a new broadband strategy.
- Advised a government in a large Middle East country on a new ICT and new regulatory strategy.
- Advised a Middle East telecom operator on the development and implementation of a new regulatory strategy.
- Advised a Middle East government on functional separation of the incumbent telecom operator.
- Acted as adviser to a North Africa telecom operator on regulatory strategies and provided advocacy work for ongoing proceedings.
- Acted as an advisor in a national telecom act modernization project in the Middle East; provided international benchmarks and best practices.
- Advised a leading Middle East telecom operator on the development and implementation of a new wholesale strategy.
- Contributed to a global benchmarking exercise for a leading Middle East telecom operator to identify the impact of different regulatory regimes; delivered the report “Lessons from Europe”.
- Advised a leading Middle East telecom operator on its regulatory strategy; engaged in meetings with ministry and regulator to discuss international lessons learnt.
Relevant North American Experience
- Headed up a project with internal and external experts for a North American telecom carrier on how impending EU AI regulation could impact the carrier’s businesses and services, deriving advocacy and government reach-out in the process.
- Analyzed, along with a team of experts, which contributions could be made by the Smart Agriculture Business Unit of a North American telecom operator around global food logistics against the backdrop of disrupted global supply chains.
- Contributed to advisory work for a global digital company on regulatory issues in Europe, with special focus on spectrum and a broad range of regulatory issues and the implementation of the new European Electronic Communications Code (EECC)
- Contributed to advisory work for a global cloud-service provider on regulatory issues in Europe.
- Provided advocacy work for a North America telecom operator for a 5G spectrum auction; derived a set of recommendations based on international best practices.
- Provided regulatory advice and advocacy work for an international satellite operator, mainly on issues of net neutrality and spectrum.
- Provided in-depth analysis and advocacy work for a North America telecom operator on a Wi-Fi roaming regulations proceeding.
- Provided in-depth analysis and advocacy work for a North America telecom operator on wireline wholesale regulation; derived a set of recommendations based on the European experience.
Relevant ICT / Digital Sovereignty Experience
- Contributed to advisory work for a leading global ICT solution provider in the area of digital sovereignty and strategic autonomy.
- Contributed to a pan-European study for a leading platform operator on the transposition of the new European telecom regulatory framework (EECC).
- Advised a global digital company on regulatory issues in Europe, with a special focus on cross-regional spectrum and regulatory issues, Net Neutrality and Zero Rating.
- Advised governments and regulators on a global scale as Chief Consultant for National Broadband Projects for a leading global ICT solution provider.
- Managed expert teams and worked on several broadband, national ICT and fiber rollout strategies.
- Led a national ICT Think-Tank and continuing as a consultant.